- Last Updated on Tuesday, 10 January 2012 16:36
- Written by The Times Weekly
- Category: Recipes
Make: 4 servings
1 cup white or jasmine rice
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Asian chile sauce (such as Sriracha)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sesame oil
4 scallions, sliced (white and green parts separated)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
4 ounces snow peas
1 14-ounce package soft tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Cook the rice as the label directs. Meanwhile, whisk the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, chile sauce, cornstarch and 1 cup water in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the scallion whites, garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry until golden brown and tender, about 3 minutes. Add the snow peas and stir-fry 30 more seconds.
- Whisk the reserved soy sauce mixture and add it to the wok. Bring to a simmer, then add the tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the scallion greens.