Brown Butter Blondies with Macaroon Topping
12/10/2013, 9:55 p.m.
- ¾ cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 1 pouch chocolate chip cookie mix
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 bag (7 oz) sweetened shredded coconut (about 2 3/4 cups lightly packed)
- ¾ cup unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line bottom and sides of 9-inch square pan with foil, leaving edges of foil hanging over 2 sides of pan for easy removal later.
- In 1-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook 8 to 11 minutes or until butter is light golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In large bowl, stir together cookie mix, brown sugar, vanilla, 2 eggs and cooled brown butter. Spread in pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 1 inch in center of pan comes out almost clean. Immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips; let stand 5 minutes. Spread evenly over bars.
- Meanwhile, in small microwavable bowl, mix granulated sugar and water. Microwave uncovered on High 30 to 60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved.
- In large bowl, place sweetened coconut and unsweetened coconut. Pour sugar mixture over coconut; beat with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed. Add cream cheese and egg white; beat on low speed until blended. Spoon and gently press macaroon mixture onto partially baked blondie layer.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely before cutting, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Cut into 8 rows by 4 rows. Store at room temperature, lightly covered, up to 1 week.