Cheesy Chili Casserole
10/16/2013, 1:10 p.m.
- 1 ½ cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup (4 oz) cubed Mexican prepared cheese product with jalapeño peppers (from a loaf)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Tortilla chips, as desired
- Cook rice as directed on package, using 2 1/2 cups water.
- In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1/2 cup water, the tomatoes and beans; cook about 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion and bell pepper are tender. Stir in cheese product until melted. Stir in chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook 3 minutes longer.
- Just before serving, gently stir in cooked rice and cilantro. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve warm with tortilla chips.