Grilled Kielbasa, Caramelized Onion and Basil Pizzas
8/20/2014, 1:46 p.m.
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 can (13.8 oz) refrigerated pizza crust
- ¾ cup pizza sauce 1
- cup (about 4 oz) thinly sliced cooked kielbasa sausage (from 16-oz package)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 to 10 minutes longer, stirring frequently, until onions are very tender and golden. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill for indirect cooking as directed by manufacturer. Spray 1 large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Unroll can of dough; cut rectangle of dough into 4 equal rectangles. Spray both sides of each rectangle with cooking spray; place on cookie sheet.
- Place 2 or 3 dough rectangles at a time directly on grill rack on unheated side of two-burner gas grill or over drip pan on charcoal grill. (If using one-burner gas grill, cook over low heat.) Cover grill; cook 5 to 7 minutes or until edges of dough look dry (check occasionally to make sure bottoms of crusts are cooking evenly; rotate crusts if necessary). Cook about 2 minutes longer or until bottoms of crusts are golden and have grill marks. Using large pancake turner, remove crusts from grill to cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough rectangles.
- Turn cooked crusts over so cooked sides are up; spread evenly with pizza sauce. Top each with sausage, onions and cheese.
- Return pizzas to grill rack over indirect heat. Cover grill; cook about 5 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and cheese is melted. Sprinkle basil over pizzas.