6/28/2014, 12:37 p.m.
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup crushed pretzels
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 container (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen unsweetened strawberries, partially thawed, sliced
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 box (8-serving size) strawberry-flavored gelatin
- Heat oven to 450°F. Unroll 1 crust in 10-inch glass pie plate or 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Trim outside edges. Prick bottom and side with fork. Use second pie crust to put a braid on outside rim of crust. Cut crust into 1/4-inch strips, and braid three strips at a time. Brush egg white on crust edge and place braid on, pushing in slightly.
- Combine crushed pretzels, 1/4 cup sugar and the melted butter. Press into bottom pie crust. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool.
- Stir together cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups sugar until sugar is dissolved. Carefully fold in whipped topping. Spread in cooled crust, reserving 2 cups filling to decorate pie. Place a flat layer of strawberry slices on top of filling. Mix boiling water and gelatin (with a few ice cubes) to make about 1 2/3 cups gelatin. Thicken slightly and pour over strawberries on pie. Refrigerate pie 8 hours or overnight.
- Decorate outside edge of pie with 2 cups reserved cream cheese mixture.