Lentil and White Bean Sloppy Joes
3/19/2014, 10:10 a.m.
- 3/4 cup dried lentils, sorted, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped poblano chile (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans, drained, rinsed
- Hot sauce, if desired
- Mini burger buns (about 2 1/2 inches in diameter), split
- In 2-quart saucepan, combine lentils with 4 cups water. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook about 20 minutes or until tender. Drain; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, chile and carrot; sprinkle with salt. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Fold in beans and cooked lentils. Cook over medium heat until beans and lentils are thoroughly heated and sauce begins to bubble. Stir in a few dashes hot sauce. Serve in buns.