Apple-Jack Chicken Pizza with Caramelized Onions
10/26/2014, 10:55 a.m.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sweet onions very thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (13.8 oz) refrigerated classic pizza crust
- 1 unpeeled large Red Delicious apple, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup cooked real bacon bits (from 3-oz package)
- 2 medium green onions, sliced (2 tablespoons)
- 1 ½ cups shredded pepper Jack cheese (6 oz)
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- In 12-inch skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add sweet onions and thyme; cook about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove onions from skillet; set aside.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray. Unroll pizza crust dough on cookie sheet; press dough into 14x10-inch rectangle. Bake 7 to 11 minutes or until light golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, in same skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add apple and Spread onion mixture over partially baked crust. Top evenly with chicken, apple mixture, bacon, green onions and cheeses.
- Bake 10 to 20 minutes longer or until cheeses are melted and crust is golden brown.