Two-Cheese Squash Casserole
9/22/2014, 10:36 a.m.
- 4 lb yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 ½ cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 ¼ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese (5 oz)
- 1 container (8 oz) sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- ½ cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 3-quart casserole with cooking spray. In Dutch oven, heat 4 quarts (16 cups) water to boiling. Add squash and onion; cook uncovered 8 minutes or just until tender. Drain well.
- In large bowl, stir together squash mixture, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, 3/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the sour cream, Cheddar cheese, chives, garlic salt, pepper and eggs. Spoon into casserole.
- In small bowl, mix remaining 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese with melted butter. Sprinkle over squash mixture.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.