Brie and Candied Tomato Tartlets
12/14/2015, 10:27 p.m.
- 48 small grape tomatoes (from 12-oz package)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted or salted butter, softened
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 oz Brie cheese, rind removed, cut into 24 cubes
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 oz)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil leaves
- In 2-quart saucepan, cook tomatoes in olive oil over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Stir in sugar and red wine vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally (being careful not to break up tomatoes), or until thoroughly heated. Stir in salt; remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Grease bottoms of 24 regular-size muffin cups with butter. Unroll pie crusts. Using 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter, cut 12 rounds from each pie crust, rerolling dough if necessary. Press 1 round in bottom and halfway up side of each cup. In small bowl, beat egg and water until well blended; brush on crusts.
- Place 1 cube Brie cheese in each cup. With slotted spoon, place 2 tomatoes into each cup (reserve candied-tomato sauce). Top cups with half of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese; sprinkle with basil.
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Top tartlets with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Serve with reserved candied-tomato sauce. Serve warm.