Pizza Mac and Cheese
3/3/2015, 2:35 a.m.
- 3 ½ cups uncooked elbow macaroni (16 oz)
- 1 lb bulk mild or spicy pork sausage
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup water
- 4 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese (16 oz)
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 oz)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 20 slices pepperoni (from 3-oz package)
- Small fresh basil leaves, if desired
- Heat oven to 425°F. Spray 3-quart casserole with cooking spray. Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink; drain. In same skillet, cook bell pepper and onion 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour, salt and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper flakes. Cook and stir until smooth. Gradually add milk and water, stirring constantly until thickened. Gradually add Cheddar cheese; stir until melted. Add macaroni, sausage and onion mixture; toss to coat. Spoon into casserole. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until bubbly. Top with Parmesan cheese, pepperoni and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper flakes. Bake 2 to 4 minutes longer, or until lightly browned. Garnish with basil.