Twice Baked Potato Casserole
3/30/2015, 9:56 p.m.
- 1 pound thin bacon
- 16 russet potatoes
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 sticks (1 pound) salted butter, plus more for buttering baking dish
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups grated Cheddar or Jack (or a mix of both), plus more for topping
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 6 green onions, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a saute pan until crispy; let cool and then crumble.
- Scrub the potatoes, then place them on baking sheets. Rub the potatoes with the canola oil and bake until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the potatoes and lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Slice the butter into pats and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the bacon and sour cream. With a sharp knife, cut each potato in half lengthwise and scrape out the insides into the mixing bowl. Tear up 3 of the skins and throw them in. Smash the potatoes with a potato masher. Add the cheese, milk, seasoned salt, green onions and some salt and pepper and mix together well.