Energy assistance now open

11/4/2015, 4:22 p.m.
The Will County Center for Community Concerns (WCCCC), as administrator of the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), has ...
Applicants for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program must bring all required documents, including the Social Security cards of everyone in the household, in order to be considered.

The Will County Center for Community Concerns (WCCCC), as administrator of the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), has funds are available to assist income-eligible households with their winter utility bills.

Starting this week, LIHEAP will be accepting applications for households whose service has been disconnected for non-payment. Households with a child under the age of 6 may also apply. Starting Dec. 1, the program will available to all income eligible Will County households. Applications will be taken through May 31, 2016, or until funding has been exhausted, whichever comes first.

LIHEAP Emergency Furnace Assistance will be available to low-income households whose existing heating systems are not operational or have been red-tagged by their utility company; you are eligible to apply during your priority period listed above.

Households must be at or below 150 percent of the federal poverty level to receive a benefit from the LIHEAP Program. WCCCC has made changes to its intake process. Applicants are required to bring all documents necessary to start the application process. Again, no applications can be approved if any documentation is missing.

Applications will be taken at Will County Center for Community Concerns, 2455 Glenwood Ave., Joliet, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday or until the daily sign-in sheet is full (whichever comes first). Applications will also be taken at various locations throughout the Will County area. Please call the Will County Center for Community Concerns at 815-722-0722, Ext. 3, or go to www.wcccc.net for outreach locations and schedules, and for information on what documents are needed to apply.

To submit an application you must bring all documentation required:

1 Social Security Cards for everyone in the household

  1. Proof of all household income for the previous 30 days, including the day of application (ex. Pay stubs, SSA, SSI, child support, and Unemployment)

  2. Printouts from other agencies (examples: Food stamps, medical card, TANF, and General Assistance)

  3. Gas/Electric Bills

  4. Anyone 18 years or older with no income will need to provide unemployment and DHS printouts.

  5. Other documents may be needed based on your household situation. If you have questions regarding this, please call our office.