Italian Cheese-Stuffed Meatloaf
11/11/2015, 1:08 a.m.
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 2 cups soft French bread crumbs
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (2 oz)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 oz) pizza sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded provolone cheese (6 oz)
- 1 jar (7.25 oz) roasted red bell peppers, drained, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped ripe olives
- Heat oven to 375°F. Line 15x10x1-inch pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in ground beef, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper, garlic and 1/2 cup of the pizza sauce until well combined.
- On large sheet of foil, shape beef mixture into 12x10-inch rectangle. Top evenly with provolone cheese, roasted peppers and olives to within 1/2 inch of edges. Starting with one 10-inch side, roll up; press seam to seal. Place seam side down in pan.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon remaining pizza sauce over loaf. Insert meat thermometer so bulb reaches center of loaf.
- Return to oven; bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until loaf is thoroughly cooked in center and thermometer reads 160°F. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.