September is ‘Hunger Action Month’ in Plainfield
8/24/2016, 11:20 a.m.
September is National Hunger Action Month and Plainfield is getting involved by hosting a food drive, in cooperation with the Northern Illinois Food Bank, to benefit the Plainfield Area Interfaith Food Pantry and the St. John Lutheran Church Food Pantry. The Village of Plainfield, C.W. Avery Family Y.M.C.A., Plainfield Park District, Plainfield Public Library, Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce, and Plainfield School District 202 will be accepting donations from August 22 through September 23.
The food pantries would appreciate donations of: oatmeal/cereal; canned chicken and tuna; peanut butter and jelly; pasta and pasta sauce; flour/sugar; rice; canned fruits and vegetables; soups/ramen; macaroni & cheese; condiments; and boxed potatoes. Personal hygiene products (soap, shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste); baby items (diapers, wipes, formula, and food); household cleaning products; and paper products (tissues, toilet paper, paper towel) are also welcomed.
Donations can be dropped off at the following locations: C.W. Avery Family Y.M.C.A., 15120 Wallin Drive; Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce, 24047 W. Lockport Street; Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois Street; Plainfield Park District Administration Center, 23729 W. Ottawa Street, and all Park District facilities; Village Hall, 24401 W. Lockport Street; the School District Administration Center, 15732 Howard Street, and all Plainfield School District 202 Schools.
Thursday, September 8, is Go Orange Day. Residents are encouraged to wear orange, tie an orange ribbon around their lampposts, or change their porch lights to orange to show support for local hunger relief efforts and to spark a conversation about hunger. Go Orange Day photos can be shared via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram using the hashtag #HungerAction and tagging Northern Illinois Food Bank (@ILFoodBank).
Other Hunger Action Month events in Plainfield include:
• The Plainfield Area Chamber of Commerce will be sponsoring a window decorating contest for the local business community – be sure to check out the window displays as you shop around town!
• On Tuesday, September 13, Nevin’s Brewing Company, 12337 S. Route 59, will give 10% back to hunger if you mention the Northern Illinois Food Bank or Hunger Action Month.
• Residents are also encouraged to bring donations for the food pantries to Coffee with the Mayor at Village Hall, 24401 W. Lockport Street, on Wednesday, September 14, at 9 a.m.
• The C.W. Avery Family Y.M.C.A. will host “Food for Fitness” on Saturday, September 17, from 6-8:30 p.m. This event is open to the entire community and will include Zumba, Werq, and Lo Impact classes (40 minutes each). Take them all or just drop in for one class! The "cost" of the classes is five cans of non-perishable food per person.
• The Plainfield Public Library will host “Healthy Eating on a Budget” on Monday, September 19, at 7 p.m. For more information and to register for this free program, visit www.plainfieldpubliclibrary.org.
Please join us in helping our hungry neighbors!