Tuna Avocado Open-Faced Sandwiches with Crunchy Slaw and Five-Spice Oranges
1/6/2016, 5:09 p.m.
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 3 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups prepared coleslaw mix
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Two 5-ounce cans solid white tuna packed in water, drained
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, lightly toasted
- 1 firm-ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup alfalfa or broccoli sprouts
- 3 oranges, cut into wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- Four 6-ounce glasses reduced-fat milk
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, the almonds, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, the ginger, honey, half of the scallions and some pepper. Toss with the coleslaw mix and set aside.
- Mix together the remaining scallions, vinegar and soy sauce, the mayonnaise, sesame oil, tuna and some pepper. Divide evenly among the slices of bread. Cut the avocado into thin slices, and fan a quarter of avocado across each sandwich. Garnish with the sprouts. Drizzle lightly with vinegar and sprinkle with pepper.
- Toss the oranges with the five-spice. Divide the sandwiches, slaw and oranges evenly among four plates.