Mini Mac and 'Shrooms
1/27/2016, 11:29 a.m.
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound mezzi rigatoni
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound wild mushrooms, such as oyster or shiitake, stemmed and sliced
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms,
- 8 ounces taleggio or brie cheese, rind removed, cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 5 ounces pecorino cheese, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add the pasta and cook until al dente, about 9 minutes. Drain the pasta, reserving about 1/4 cup cooking water.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Cook, stirring, until the paste puffs slightly, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking. Reduce the heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until the sauce is creamy, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of the mushrooms and cook until soft, about 8 minutes. Season with salt. Push to the side of the pan and repeat with the remaining mushrooms.
- Reduce the heat under the sauce to low and whisk in both cheeses until smooth. Stir in the mushrooms and pasta and toss, adding the reserved cooking water as needed.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs and toast until golden; stir in the parsley. Divide the pasta among 8 small bowls. Garnish with the breadcrumb mixture.