Chicken and Dumplings with Vegetables
3/2/2016, 8:08 p.m.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bag (1 lb) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 3 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (10.2 oz) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 biscuits)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- In 4-quart Dutch oven or saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onions, celery and garlic; cook 7 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add frozen mixed vegetables, broth, parsley, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; mix well. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. In small bowl, mix milk and flour until smooth. Add to chicken mixture; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat to low.
- Separate dough into 5 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into quarters. Arrange biscuit pieces evenly on top of chicken mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Cover tightly; cook 30 to 35 minutes or until biscuits are fluffy and no longer doughy.