Quantcast

Taste of Joliet headliners Huey Lewis and the News cancel

4/14/2018, 9:02 a.m.
Huey Lewis and the News have cancelled their performance at this year's Taste of Joliet due to the lead singer's ...
Huey Lewis and the News cancelled their performance at the 2018 Taste of Joliet due to the lead singer's hearing loss. American Songwriter

One of the headliners for this year’s Taste of Joliet has cancelled.

Huey Lewis, lead singer of Huey Lewis and the News, announced this week that the band would be cancelling the remainder of its 2018 performance dates due to illness.

The band, which had a string of hits in the 1980s including Power of Love and Working for a Living, had been scheduled to headline a performance on the first night of the 3-day fest in June.

In a statement posted to his website, Lewis, apologized to fans for having to cancel the remaining dates due to hearing loss.

“Two and a half months ago, just before a show in Dallas, I lost most of my hearing. Although I can still hear a little, one on one, and on the phone, I can’t hear music well enough to sing,” said Lewis in his statement.

Lewis said that he has been seeking medical advice from experts on what they believe is causing the loss.

The singer said that doctors believe he has Meniere’s Disease “and have agreed that I can’t perform until I improve.”

Taste of Joliet is set to run June 22-24 at Joliet Memorial Stadium. Saturday night’s headliner is country music duo Brothers Osborne.