Stuffed Eggplant Parm
YIELDS: 4 / TOTAL TIME: 1:10 MINS
1 1/2 c. marinara, divided
2 medium eggplants, halved
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried oregano
Kosher salt & ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chopped tomatoes
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella, divided
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 c. Italian bread crumbs
Freshly sliced basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread 1 cup of marinara over the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Using a spoon, hollow out eggplants, leaving about a 1/2-inch-thick border around skin to create a boat; transfer to baking dish. Roughly chop scooped-out eggplant flesh.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Stir in chopped eggplant and season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until golden and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and add tomatoes, egg, 1 cups of mozzarella, and remaining 1/2 cup marinara. Mix until just combined, then scoop into eggplant boats. Top with remaining 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan, and bread crumbs.
- Bake until eggplants are tender and cheese is golden, about 50 minutes.
- Garnish with basil before serving.