New operating hours at Driver Services Facilities REAL ID Applicants
12/2/2019, 10:35 p.m.
At the beginning of January Illinois Secretary offices some Driver Services facilities throughout Chicagoland and northern Illinois will change operating hours and add exclusive days just for REAL ID applicants to accommodate the increased volume of customers applying for REAL ID driver’s licenses and ID cards.
The federal government will require Americans to use a valid U.S. passport or obtain a REAL ID to fly domestically beginning Oct. 1, 2020.
“These new work hours are designed to best serve Illinoisans who do not have U.S. passports and who need to obtain a REAL ID by Oct. 1, 2020,” said White. “The REAL ID Act is a federal mandate that has a set deadline of Oct. 1, 2020, for people without valid U.S. passports to obtain a REAL ID to fly domestically or visit secure federal facilities. Like states throughout the country, we have experienced an increased volume of customers applying for REAL IDs and expect this to continue through December 2020.”
The new hours take effect Jan. 2, 2020, through Dec. 31, 2020.
Chicago North, Chicago South and Chicago West facilities
Chicago North (5401 N. Elston Ave.), Chicago South (9901 S. Martin Luther King Dr.) and Chicago West (5301 W. Lexington) will be open Monday through Saturday.
Monday hours will be 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. and will serve only REAL ID customers.
Tuesday hours will be 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday hours will be 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
Northern Illinois and Chicago area facilities
The following facilities will be open Tuesday through Saturday with expanded hours on Saturday.
Tuesday through Friday hours will be 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday hours will be 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. (Currently facilities close at noon on Saturday.)
The Chicago Central (JRTC) facility will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For a full list of facilities and hours, visit www.cyberdriveillinois.com.
White emphasized to Illinoisans the importance of the following key points:
• Customers have a choice. They do not need a REAL ID if they have a valid U.S. passport, military ID or other TSA-acceptable form of identification. These documents will be accepted for domestic air travel. For a complete list of acceptable documents, please visit: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification.
• People do not need a REAL ID if they do not fly domestically or visit secure federal facilities.
• However, to apply for a REAL ID, customers need to come prepared with the necessary documents.
• Customers are encouraged to visit www.REALID.ilsos.gov and use the interactive document checklist to help ensure they bring the proper documents to the facility, making the process more efficient.
• Customers are asked to please be patient at facilities as the process to apply for a REAL ID takes longer due to the multiple documents required by the federal government.
• Customers are also encouraged to take advantage of the many online services offered allowing patrons to conduct business from home. Some online transactions include: obtaining a duplicate driver’s license or ID card, renewing a vehicle registration, obtaining a driver record abstract or renewing a standard driver’s license with the Safe Driver Renewal Program.
• Illinois REAL ID cards are now a permanent option for Illinois residents.
Since April 2019, nearly 500,000 REAL IDs have been issued statewide.