Honey Garlic Meatballs
New Year Eve Appetizers
12/26/2019, 6 a.m.
Honey Garlic Meatballs YIELD: 18 -20 / TOTAL TIME: 35 MINS
• 1 pound ground beef or ground sirloin or 90% lean ground sirloin
• 1 large egg
• 1/2 cup milk or unsweetened cashewmilk
• 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
• 1/3 cup sweet Vidalia onions, diced small (yellow or white onions may be substituted)
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 3 garlic cloves, minced or finely pressed
• 3/4 cup ketchup
• 1/3 cup honey
• 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
Preheat oven to 400F, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
To a large bowl add the beef, egg, milk, bread crumbs, onions, salt, pepper, and stir to combine.
Using a 2-tablespoon cookie scoop (or your hands) form approximately 18 to 20 meatballs. After scooping out the meatballs with a cookie scoop, use your hands to roll into smooth balls and place on prepared baking sheet, spaced about 1-inch apart.
Bake for about 17 to 20 minutes, or until centers of meatballs are no longer pink and are cooked through; set aside.
To a large skillet add the butter and heat over medium heat to melt.
Add the garlic and sauté for about 1 minute, stirring frequently, or until garlic is tender and fragrant.
Add the ketchup, honey, soy sauce, and stir to combine.
Add the meatballs, toss and stir gently to coat evenly, and simmer over low heat for about 3 to 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened some and meatballs well coated; stir intermittently.
Transfer meatballs to a serving platter or bowl, insert a toothpick into each meatball if desired, and serve. Meatballs are best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.