Hastings champions landmark infrastructure revitalization plan
7/1/2019, 8:31 p.m.
State Senator Michael E. Hastings made the following statement after the signing of legislation that would modernize Illinois’ infrastructure and provide the South Suburbs with new jobs.
“The South Suburbs will see some long-needed infrastructure repair under this capital bill. Our roads, bridges, schools will be renewed and local governments entities will see an extraordinary amount financial support to build new infrastructure for the 21st Century. From Markham and Matteson to Lockport and Joliet, our communities will undeniably benefit from this bill.
I want to thank Governor J.B. Pritzker for working with the South Suburban delegation and listening to the wants and needs of our communities. I look forward to seeing Illinois rebuilt.”
The $45 billion plan includes funding for highways and bridges as well as local projects. A few examples include:
● $6 million dollars for local government infrastructure improvements
● $848 million to improve I-80 in Will County and rebuild structurally deficient bridges over the Des Plaines River.
● $32 million in funding for improvements at Governors State University
● $43 million in funding improvements at Moraine Valley Community College
● $1,000,000 in grants to local non-for-profit developmentally disabled and mental health treatment organizations.