Mexican Layer Dip
Servings: 8 / Total Time: 45 min.
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 medium onion, chopped, divided
• 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
• 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
• 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
• 2 cups sour cream
• 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
• Corn chips
• Chopped green onions, chopped tomatoes, optional
• In a large skillet, cook beef and half of the onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, sugar, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
• Spread refried beans into a 13x9-in. dish; top with beef mixture, tomatoes, green pepper and remaining onion. Layer with sour cream and cheese. If desired, top with chopped green onions and chopped tomatoes. Serve with chips.