One Pan Caribbean Jerk Chicken with Pineapple-Coconut Rice
1/9/2020, 6 a.m.
One Pan Caribbean Jerk Chicken with Pineapple-Coconut Rice Servings: 4 / TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
• For the chicken marinade:
• 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1.25-1.5 pounds)
• 1/2 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
• 2 tablespoons gluten free soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 tablespoon lime juice
• 1/2 tablespoon honey
• 1/2 tablespoon ground allspice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne
• ½ teaspoon sea salt
• Freshly ground black pepper
• For the veggies & rice:
• ½ tablespoon olive or avocado oil
• 1 bunch green onions, diced
• 1 large red bell pepper, cut into chunks
• 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk
• 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple chunks
• 1 cup basmati white rice
• To garnish:
• Green onions
• Fresh lime
Add chicken to a large bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and your jerk seasoning: garlic, ginger, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, honey, allspice, cinnamon, dried thyme, cayenne, sea salt and black pepper. Use clean hands to toss the chicken in the mixture.
Cover and allow chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 6 hours, or you can skip this completely and begin the cooking process.
Next add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a large deep 10 inch skillet and place over medium high heat. (If you do not have a skillet a large pot will also work very well!) Once oil is hot, add in chicken and season with a little more salt and pepper. Cook until browned 4-5 minutes, then flip and and cook an additional 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate.
In the same skillet (it should be greased enough already for sauteing), add green onion, red bell pepper chunks; saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add in coconut milk and rice and stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer then fold in the pineapple, making sure it is evenly distributed. Add browned chicken on top.
Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet immediately and cook for 20-25 minutes. After 20-25 minutes, most of the liquid should be absorbed and rice should be cooked. Serve immediately. Garnish with green onions and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
To meal prep: This meal serves four. Place rice in a meal prep containers and top with 1 chicken thigh. Garnish with green onion.