Diocese of Joliet to Host Virtual Ecumenical Rally for Racial Justice
6/11/2020, 8:52 p.m.
The Diocese of Joliet will present a special virtual event, An Ecumenical Rally for Justice, on Saturday The livestream will begin at 11 a.m. at dioceseofjoliet.org. The event is sponsored by the Office of the Bishop; the Office for Human Dignity, Justice & Peace Ministry; the Office for Christian Life, Ecumenical & Hispanic Ministry; the University of St. Francis; the Joliet Franciscans; and the Northern Illinois Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
“The Diocese of Joliet invites you to join in prayer and reflection, and take a stance of solidarity with our Black brothers and sisters hurting from the sin of racism,” according to a statement from the Diocee of Joliet. A panel of speakers will call for repentance, a commitment to racial justice, and a new way forward. Speakers for the event include:
• Bishop Richard E. Pates, Apostolic Administrator for the Diocese of Joliet;
• Arvid C. Johnson, Ph.D., President of the University of St. Francis;
• Bishop Craig Purchase, Sr., Pastor of Mt. Zion, and Vice President of the Central Western District of The United Holy Church of America;
• Sr. Nancy Schramm,OSF, Director of Mission Formation, Pontifical Mission Office;
• Vincent Cornelius, Will County Circuit Court Judge and former president of the Illinois State Bar Association;
• Elisabeth Roman, Director of Hispanic and Ethnic Ministry for the Diocese of Joliet;
• Bishop Jeffrey Clements, Bishop of the Northern Illinois Synod, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America;
• Sr. Lois Prebil, OSF, Co-founder of the Joliet Franciscan Anti-Racism Committee;
• Pastor Kevin Comfort, Judson Church in Joliet, and;
• Rev. Herb Brooks, Pastor of St. John M.B. Church, Will County Board Member.