Bratwurst Burgers with Braised Onions
Father’s Day Recipes
6/18/2020, 6 a.m.
Bratwurst Burgers with Braised Onions Servings: 4 / Total Time: 30 mins
• 1 tablespoon canola oil
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
• 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, sliced
• 1 cup dark beer or chicken broth
• 1/2 pound ground beef
• 1/2 pound uncooked bratwurst links, casings removed
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 tablespoon 2% milk
• 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
• 4 slices Muenster cheese
• 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
• 8 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
• In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Remove and keep warm.
• In a small bowl, combine beef and bratwurst, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick patties.
• In a shallow bowl, mix egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip patties in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture to coat.
• In the same skillet over medium heat, cook burgers 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° for medium doneness and juices run clear, topping with cheese during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. Serve burgers on buns with mustard and onion mixture.
Bratwurst Burgers with Braised Onions Recipe photo by Taste of Home