Foster supports sweeping Anti-Corruption and Clean Elections reform package
1/21/2021, 6 a.m.
Congressman Bill Foster (D-IL) announced support for H.R. 1, the For the People Act, a sweeping anti-corruption package to clean up Washington. The proposed legislation would protect and expand voting rights, eliminate gerrymandering, restore integrity to government, and put the needs and priorities of the American people ahead of special interests.
“After decades of corrupt influence of dark money in elections and four years of unprecedented corruption by the Trump administration, it’s time for a major reform effort to return power back to the American people and hold those in positions of power accountable for their actions,” said Foster. “Americans are tired of the constant chaos, corruption, and attacks on our democratic system that have defined the Trump Presidency. The Democratic majority will make cleaning up corruption and protecting our elections a priority, and I am proud to support this historic legislation.”
Key provisions of the For the People Act include:
• Expanding automatic voter registration and same-day registration;
• Strengthening vote by mail, early voting and ballot access;
• Combating voter intimidation and voter suppression;
• Protecting elections from foreign interference;
• Fixing partisan gerrymandering;
• Promoting digital ad transparency;
• Forcing disclosure of dark money;
• Reining in lobbyists and Washington insiders;
• Empowering small donors against special interests and Super PACs; and
• Enforcing ethics and conflict of interest rules for all government officials.