Hazardous waste, recycling made easier in Lockport
By TTW News Service | 7/6/2021, 4:22 p.m.
Lockport - The City of Lockport has recently expanded its service with Waste Management to include the At Your Door (AYD) Special Collection® Service.
The program includes collection of many types of potentially hazardous and hard to recycle items from residential homes, which are not permitted for disposal in regular refuse collection services.
Accepted materials include:
• Household Chemicals – Ammonia, cleaning compounds, bleach, floor stripper, drain cleaner, rust remover, carpet/upholstery cleaner, tile/shower cleaner, and more
• Automotive Products – Antifreeze, motor oil, oil filters, fluids, polish, waxes, vehicle batteries, upholstery cleaners, and more
• Consumer Electronics – Computers, laptops, keyboards, monitors, microwaves, DVD/CD players, CD ROM, fax machines, cell phones, VCRs, desktop printers, scanners, gaming systems, related cords, and more
• Paint Products – Oil-based paint, latex paint, spray paint, artist paint, wood preservative, stain, caulk, sealer and more
• Batteries – Batteries of various sizes: AA, AAA, C, D and rechargeable
• Garden Chemicals – Herbicide, insect spray/ insecticide, fertilizer, pesticide, and more
• Fluorescent Light Bulbs – Compact fluorescent lamps (CFL) and straight fluorescent tubes
• Thermometers & Thermostats – Numerous items that contain mercury
• Flammable Items – Kerosene, gasoline, solvents and more
• Syringes and Lancets – Sharps, syringes, needles and lancets
• Swimming Pool Chemicals – Pool acid, stabilizer, chlorine
To initiate a request, residents within incorporated City of Lockport limits, may schedule a home collection through three easy steps.
- Contact Waste Management – Request a home collection of your items. Have a list of your unwanted materials ready. You can contact Waste Management by visiting wmatyourdoor.com and filling out a request form, or by calling (800) 499-7587, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. (CST).
To learn more, visit https://cityoflockport.net, follow @cityoflockport, or call (815) 838-0549.
The program became effective on June 1, 2021. More information about the AYD program is available on Waste Management’s website under Residential Services and on the City’s website under Garbage & Recycling.